Status of Pine64 sound (Everest 8316) support?

From: John F Carr <jfc_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2024 14:20:37 UTC
Several Pine64 devices have an Everest 8316 or 8388 sound device.  It looks like work was started on an 8316 driver several years ago but abandoned.  The driver I found does not seem to work.  On my RockPro64 it attaches but fails to create any devices.  The attach method does not check that it is talking to a real device, trusting the device tree to have the correct address on the I2C bus.

Is there anything more recent than the changes archived at

https://people.freebsd.org/~jsm/pinebookpro/3fca90af438ac4232d6b33ee4874297089997dd6-main.diff

?

Does anybody remember if this driver was almost done or barely started?

The errors below in my /var/log/messages suggest work on I2S is also needed:

i2s0: <Rockchip I2S> mem 0xff880000-0xff880fff irq 58 on ofwbus0
Cannot set frequency for clk: clkin_i2s, error: 34
Cannot set frequency for clk: xin24m, error: 34
i2s1: <Rockchip I2S> mem 0xff890000-0xff890fff irq 59 on ofwbus0
Cannot set frequency for clk: clkin_i2s, error: 34
Cannot set frequency for clk: xin24m, error: 34
i2s2: <Rockchip I2S> mem 0xff8a0000-0xff8a0fff irq 60 on ofwbus0
Cannot set frequency for clk: clkin_i2s, error: 34
Cannot set frequency for clk: xin24m, error: 34

John Carr