Re: SD card timeouts on older Raspberry Pi 4 models on 14.1-BETA

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 18:10:00 UTC
On May 7, 2024, at 10:18, Mike Karels <mike@karels.net> wrote:

> On 7 May 2024, at 12:14, HP van Braam wrote:
>
>> sdhci_bcm1: <Broadcom 2708 SDHCI controller> mem 0x7e340000-0x7e3400ff irq 79 on simplebus1
>> mmc1: <MMC/SD bus> on sdhci_bcm1
>>

>> I'm working on a similar problem that gets triggered when there are multiple sd card interfaces active. Did you make any changes at all to config.txt, and do you have any peripherals attached to the pi?
>>
> No changes to config.txt, or the boot partition in general.  I have a USB SSD
> disk attached, but that was true for all of the tests.  I can try without it
> though.

I'll note that my testing that Mike mentioned was without any USB devices
being plugged into any USB port: Just Serial console, Ethernet connection,
power supply, and the fan's power-pin connections. Nothing else connected.

>> It would also be good to ensure that you're giving it enough power.
>
> I believe I am using the "official" power supply, and it has been working with
> lots of software versions since.

As for my context's power supply: 5.1V 3.5A (CanaKit model
DCAR-RSP-3A5C) .

The same power supply was used with the 8 GiByte Rev 1.5 "C0T"
RPi4B for its test --and the 8 GiByte Rev 1.4 "B0T" RPi4B that
I later tested but did not report to Mike.

Only the old 4 GiByte Rev 1.1 RPi4B's failed to boot 14.1.

All RPi4B's were using the same microsd card boot media that
was produced by downloading the .xz and then expanding it and
the dd'ing it to the microsd card. No modifications.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com