Re: sshd signal 11 on -current

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 00:39:58 UTC
On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 11:40:55AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> You may need to do local experiments where the
> dsl_modem is not connected? Or may be move
> switchA to the other side of the router temporarily?
>
> Problem isolation may require things be off the
> public WAN some of the time.

In this case, ns2.zefox.net (along with ns1 and www)
are at software EOL and need to be updated anyway. I
might as well start with ns2  and see what happens.
If the problem persists, then there's something to
investigate further. A setup similar to pelorus.zefox.org
is likely to be used, which communicates via ssh
with no trouble over the network as it is.

> > in this case
> > ns2.zefox.net and ns1.zefox.net seem to be affected.
> > No other hosts (so far) have reported that particular
> > error.
>
> If you are unable to isolate the smallest configurations
> that fail and which Operating System combinations fail
> I do not see how to get evidence for the range of
> observed oddities.

At this point the need is for a nameserver that works and
is maintainable. 12.4.4 works for now, but isn't maintainable.

> > Subject to the proviso that www.zefox.net is headless
> > and so must be accessed via ssh from some other host.
>
> No tip session attached to www.zefox.net ? That
> connection type is not via ssh to www.zefox.net .

The serial console server for ns2.zefox.net is
nemesis.zefox.com. Ssh to nemesis followed by tip
to ns2 works fine, no "Corrupted Mac..."errors even
when running grep -i ssh /var/log/messages.

> > The choice of host seems to make no difference.
>
> macOS vs. RasPiOS/Win10 ?

But, ns2 needs to communicate with modern hosts, not antiques.
All the servers in the trio (ns1, ns2, www) need to update
past 12.4.4. Changing ns2 is inevitable. Going to aarch64
seems prudent.

At the outset I thought I was seeing something much worse
than stale software or maybe hardware.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska