Re: https://github.com/pftf/RPi4 unusable for FreeBSD since at least Sept 2023

From: Mike Karels <mike_at_karels.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:01:31 UTC
On 19 Jan 2024, at 11:54, void wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 09:10:29AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2023-September/004775.html
>
> The reason I've gone down this rabbit-hole is because:
>
> 1. I tried bsdinstall on recent -current and (i forget the error) but
> it was something about ssl certs. It happened at the point where you're
> asked to set the root account password, so -current had to be abandoned.
>
> 2. I tried latest 14-stable but found it would not boot even with
> the copy-microsd-contents-into-usb3-disk-msdos-partition trick
> (had to boot a 2nd time into the microsd, copy the files, halt,
> take card out, power on again). Nothing gets displayed to the console.
>
> 3. I've not tried 14.0-R msdos contents yet. I used 13.1 msdos contents
> because I knew they would work.
> --

Just for the record, I have 14.0 running on an rpi4 on a USB SSD, and had
no problems setting it up.  I think I just copied the boot partition from
the SD image.  I didn't use bsdinstall, however.  Also, I just booted and
configured this week's 15-current snapshot on an SD card with no problem.

		Mike