Re: When will FreeBSD support RPI5?

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_rabson.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:52:51 UTC
On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 18:32, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2024, at 07:38, Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org> wrote:
>
> > Getting back to the RPI 5, with a tweak to
> arm/broadcom/bcm2835bcm2835_vcbus.c to treat the memory config the same as
> RPI 4 and to dev/sdhci/sdhci_fdt.c to treat the RPI 5 sdhci controllers as
> generic, I can boot to multiuser mode using the EDK2 firmware from
> https://github.com/worproject/rpi5-uefi with ACPI/Device Tree mode set to
> Both.
>
> What does FreeBSD do with "Both"? Does it actually use some ACPI
> and some Device Tree? Or does it just use ACPI? Does your
> combination do anything different than just using ACPI?
>
> > This does not have working PCIe or ethernet yet - I think ethernet ought
> to work since we seem to have a matching driver in the tree in dev/cadence.
>
> Sounds like the same status as booting just ACPI with no such
> adjustments too bcm2835bcm2835_vcbus.c or sdhci_fdt.c ?
>
> I think Mike Karels plans on investigating getting Ethernet
> going based on cgem . I've no clue if this is ACPI, DeviceTree,
> or both.
>
> My usage has been pure ACPI, no software adjustments specific
> to getting the RPi5 operational. Use of a USB3 Ethernet dongle.

As far as I can tell, 'Both' works almost exactly the same as 'Devicetree'
- I don't think the acpi device is attached to nexus at all.

Ethernet should be supported by cgem(4). This device is on the rp1
southbridge. In the DTB, rp1 is a simplebus under pcie@120000
and ethernet@100000 is a child of rp1. I think it doesn't match for me
because there is no driver matching pcie@ yet. The existing bcm2838 pci
driver could be adapted for RPI 5 - reading the linux driver shows some
smallish differences in device initialisation.

I have attached verbose dmesg dumps for all three EDK2 acpi modes.