Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 02:16:35 UTC
On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 05:06:33PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2024, at 13:36, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> >> This and http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/tiptrouble/corrupt_mac do not
> >> make clear the full chain of connections. In fact the presentation
> >> seems inconsistent with other information so various things may
> >> have changed.
> >>
> >> Some context based on prior (out of date?) information:
> >>
> >>  |-50.1.20.30 ns1.zefox.net Pi2 12.3 armv7 ftdi usb-serial----50.1.20.27
> >>  |-50.1.20.29 ns2.zefox.net Pi2 12.3 armv7 2303 usb-serial----50.1.20.30
> >>  |-50.1.20.27 www.zefox.net Pi2 12.3 armv7 2303 usb-serial----50.1.20.26
> >>
> >> Was "pi4 RasPiOS workstation" involved as a starting place? If so, what
> >> sequence gets to www.zefox.net from there?
> >
> > Yes, the login sequence starts from a shell on pi4 RapiOS
> > workstation, via ssh  to the terminal server where tip is run
> > to access the usb-serial adapter plugged into it.
>
> Okay. There was 1 reference to a login from "gateway.zefox.net"
> as a "Last login", as reported by a ns1.zefox.net login sequence.
>
> >> Starting with what you showed via:
> >>
> >> http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/tiptrouble/corrupt_mac
> >>
> >> (not knowing how you got there) . . .
> >>
> >> QUOTE
> >> FreeBSD/arm (www.zefox.net) (ttyu0)
> >>
> >> login: root
> >> Password:
> >> Corrupted MAC on input.
> >> ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to 50.1.20.29 port 22: message authentication code incorrect
> >> END QUOTE
> >>
> >> 50.1.20.29 is supposedly ns2.zefox.net instead of www.zefox.net
> >> or ns1.zefox.net according to http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/netmap .
> >
> > The netmap was wrong. ns1 and ns2 were swapped....8-(
>
> It now shows:
>
> |-50.1.20.29 ns1.zefox.net Pi2 12.3 armv7 ftdi usb-serial----50.1.20.27
> |-50.1.20.30 ns2.zefox.net Pi2 12.3 armv7 2303 usb-serial----50.1.20.29
> |-50.1.20.27 www.zefox.net Pi2 12.3 armv7 2303 usb-serial----50.1.20.26
>
> But it later lists the older/inaccurate numbering as well:
>
>  50.1.20.30 ns1.zefox.net Pi2 v1.1
Fixed

> . . .
>  50.1.20.29 ns2.zefox.net Pi2 v1.1
Fixed
> . . .
>  50.1.20.27 www.zefox.net Pi2 v1.1
That's the right IP number for www.zefox.net. 50.1.20.26 is the IP number
of the host for which www.zefox.net is the console terminal server.
The "usb-serial----------" notation was meant to suggest wires on the right
with the USB port (and its host) on the left.  Sorry for the confusion!

> >> The bugzilla material eventually needs to be updated with something
> >> that can be followed and noting the possible occasional hardware or
> >> software corruptions of material that end up going over Ethernet
> >> that are now demonstrated to be able to cause the symptoms that
> >> you have been seeing on occasion for so long.
> >
> > The netmap is corrected, with a description of the login sequence
> > used to watch the serial consoles added. I _think_ it's
> > a bit clearer than before, if not please say so.
>
> Definitely improved description of the context, thanks.
Thank you. Clearly my notion of intuitive isn't widespread.

bob prohaska