Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 01:52:55 UTC
On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 05:18:25PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> Do you have the following sort of thing in each /etc/sysctl.conf ?
>
> #
> # Together this pair avoids swapping out the process kernel stacks.
> # This avoids processes for interacting with the system from being
> # hung-up by such swapping out of process kernel stacks (and other
> # types of processes as well).
> vm.swap_enabled=0
> vm.swap_idle_enabled=0

Not on pelorus.zefox.org, www.zefox.com, nemesis.zefox.com, fixed now.
The rest already had the setting.

While checking, I logged in as root on the serial consoles of each host.
When I tried to log in to www.zefox.net the response was

FreeBSD/arm (www.zefox.net) (ttyu0)

login: root
Password:
Corrupted MAC on input.
ssh_dispatch_run_fatal:

I've seen this only once before, I think logging in to pelorus.zefox.org.
Re-running ssh to the terminal server and tip to www.zefox.net
connected directly to a running console root shell. Apparently the
login attempt started a root session on the console and detached
the tip connection. For some reason I find that rather sinister.

Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska