Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:03:53 UTC
On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 10:48:01AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2024, at 09:25, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>

> >> Please do not use a configuration based in part on armv7 FreeBSD
> >> config.txt material any more for the testing activity: Just use
> >> the FreeBSD normal aarch64 configuration with the force_mac_address
> >> related material added at the end.
> >>

> > Just tried it now. The boot seems _extremely_ slow and invited
> > at least some intervention (manually typing run bootcmd_usb0
> > at the u-boot prompt) but it did come up multi-user.
>
> The above seems odd to me. What version of U-Boot is in use?

Older, U-Boot 2022.04 (Oct 02 2022 - 23:00:31 +0000)

It's possible the boot would have completed on its own had
I kept my mitts off the keyboard. The loader boot delay
countdown ticks seems slow by about 10X. That might
explain the
init_uart_clock=3000000
in the old config.txt.

I should have said earlier that this particular Pi3 was
configured to boot direct from USB, without a microSD
card, but never would. I ended up using a bootcode.bin
file alone on the DOS partition. I should probably pull
the microSD card to see if the new config.txt changes
that behavior.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska