Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:27:15 UTC
On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 02:51:47PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> [...]

It turns out that killing tip (using killall on the
terminal server) does not disturb the ssh session.
Both the ssh connection from workstation to terminal
server and the su to root needed to run tip survive.

I should apologize for not testing this sooner, it
was a very easy experiment. If you think of useful
variations please indicate them.

The "invalid characters in banner" message still
intrigue me. Might it be possible for output from
tip to ssh inadvertently contain a ~. sequence in a
direction that makes ssh or sshd disconnect?

It does appear that what looks like console-to-terminal-server
traffic is sometimes reflected back to the console as input,
but only when tip is being started and not every time at that.

Some help from the comp.sys.raspberry-pi newsgroup
suggested trying
journalctl -u ssh
on the RPiOS workstation. It reports ssh server activity,
essentially sshd startups at boot, but not client activity.
I'll keep looking.

Thanks for reading, and all your help!

bob prohaska