Re: current for arm64 tries tftp first for some reason

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 23:49:46 UTC
On Jan 10, 2024, at 15:02, void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 05:07:14AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>>
>> The file is not a text file and I've no clue if any
>> EFI variables happen to be related.
>
> My rpi4b context doesn't create /boot/efi/ubootefi.var
> if the tftp part is allowed to complete.

This might be because I have a GPT partitioning. I tend
to do things like use a Rock64 snapshot dd'd ot media
and copy over the msdosfs materials from a rpi-arm64
snapshot. Similarly, what I partition and set up for
myself is normally GPT based.

The file was not present until after the first boot,
which I did not interrupt. Evidence is the lack of a
reasonable timestamp.

I've just stopped it to get to a U-Boot> prompt and
used the eficonfig command. It displays a menu
that includes "Change Boot Order", for example.

But, so far, I've not found a way to change from
"Add Boot Option".

> The OS was installed with dd to spinning rust and the ufs2 filesystem as one partition auto-expanded to fill the disk.

I actually set up my USB3 media to boot most of the
aarch64 systems that I have access to. I move the
media around between the systems. No spinning rust.

This means that when I updated pre-existing media
with the newer U-Boot is when I got the new behavior
on teh first boot with the newer U-Boot.

> Maybe this installation method doesn't create it.
>
> Previously I've booted to mmcsd, plugged in the usb3 disk,
> created a 256MB msdos partition, copied all of the msdos part of the
> mmcsd into that partition, ran bsdinstall with the plugged in disk
> as the target.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com