Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 04:27:19 UTC
On Jan 8, 2024, at 18:57, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 08:48:36AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>>
>> I meant that to be a general request to never reference just
>> RPi2B. The v1.1 vs. v1.2 was an unfortunate marketing naming
>> for the armv7 vs. aarch64 change that ends up needing such
>> extra text to give the proper context.
>
> Understood, since all Pi2's are v1.1 I'm more oblivious.

So all your RPi2B's are v1.1 and so must be used as armv7.
Good to know.

(Note FreeBSD's armv7 snapshots do not provide the .dtb
for v1.2 or for RPi3B* 's . So booting as armv7 is not
supported as the snapshots are configured.)

> I've added the config.txt files to the netmap at
> http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/netmap

Thanks much.

If/when an experiment uses any adjusted/replaced config.txt ,
please be specific about the variation at the time. That
includes if/when you make www.zefox.org (an aarch64) use
the standard config.txt for aarch64 with force_mac_address
added, instead of it being partially based on the armv7
config.txt .

One thing still missing for the reporting of the specific
recent experiment is: what was the powerd status of
nemesis.zefox.com ? Always indicate the powerd status for
the RPi*'s at both ends of the serial line involved in the
failure (GIO end and tip end, making clear the exact
association).

> In principle both /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.conf might
> be relevant, but adding them will increase clutter.

As stands, I'm depending on your judgment about those files'
full content being relevant or not. One thing that is relevant
is the various powerd status's for each specific experimental
variation's serial line(s) with a failure. One or more such
files are likely involved in control of that status on each
of the 2 RPi*'s involved.

> Please
> indicate if it's more help than harm. I'm trying to hew to
> a policy of copy and paste intact, against the chance an
> errant typo or dropped # is the culprit.
>
> At this point powerd is not enabled in /etc/rc.conf on
> any host.

But you earlier reported a failure involving the serial line
between nemesis.zefox.com and www.zefox.org and reported
that, for that experiment, www.zefox.org had powerd in use.
You never indicated the powerd status for nemesis.zefox.com
in that experiment that produced the failure. I still want
to know what it was.

> Thanks for reading, and I hope the netmap makes the
> conversation easier to follow.

Sure does avoid me having to guess at things. Thanks.

> If not, please say so.

I like the explicit extra information that you provided.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com