Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2024 10:55:23 UTC
On Jan 7, 2024, at 08:48, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2024, at 19:00, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, the systems simply are different. Four Pi2
>>
>> Please differentiate RPi2B v1.1 (armv7) from v1.2 (aarch64).
>
> I meant that to be a general request to never reference just
> RPi2B. The v1.1 vs. v1.2 was an unfortunate marketing naming
> for the armv7 vs. aarch64 change that ends up needing such
> extra text to give the proper context.
>
>> I suggest armv7 use the snapshot armv7’s config.txt as its
>> config.txt prefix.

Now that I have my normal internet access back, FYI:

# dd if=FreeBSD-15.0-CURRENT-arm-armv7-GENERICSD-20240104-8bf0882e186e-267378.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1m conv=fsync,sync status=progress
  5205131264 bytes (5205 MB, 4964 MiB) transferred 18.064s, 288 MB/s
5120+0 records in
5120+0 records out
5368709120 bytes transferred in 18.680162 secs (287401640 bytes/sec)

# mount -onoatime -tmsdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt

# more /mnt/config.txt
init_uart_clock=3000000
enable_uart=1
kernel=u-boot.bin
kernel7=u-boot.bin
dtoverlay=mmc

>>> , two Pi3,
>>> one Pi4. I'll try to make the config.txt files on the Pi3s match
>>> better when the present experiment is complete. The interconnection
>>> of hosts is unique and, apparently, unusual. Not all of that is
>>> relevant, but exatctly what part isn't yet obvious.

>>> Agreed, and I changed config.txt to set
>>> dtoverly=disable-bt
>>> on www.zefox.org (the console host) to force use of the PL011.
>>> It didn't help detectably.

>>> No sign of that, but Mark posited that powerd might be causing
>>> trouble with the terminal server (pelorus in this test). That
>>> looks like a possibility. At the moment pelorus is without
>>> powerd and it's holding a serial connection to www.zefox.org.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile www.zefox.org is running powerd and buildworld
>>> while being a terminal server to a Pi4 named nemesis.zefox.com
>>> That connection has dropped twice so far today.
>>
>> Interesting. You have not reported on nemesis.zefox.com ‘s config.txt
>> content or powerd status. Also, which type of RPi* ?
>
> If the chart you referenced is right for the issue: RPi4B. (Other
> details about turned out to be in accurate at the time as I
> remember, so the cross check seems appropriate.) If so, that
> still leaves the status of powerd and the config.txt content
> to publicly document.
>
> Also, as I understand the reports, a system running both tip and
> powerd ends up dropping the serial console connection at times.
> A system running tip but not powerd does not drop the connection.
>
> However, it might be that some form of test of a RPi* running
> powerd and just tip and not ssh might be useful. Similarly for
> a RPi* running powerd and just ssh, not tip. I'd expect that
> the tip+powerd-ssh case (so no ssh) to fail and the
> ssh+powerd-tip case (so: no tip) to not fail.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com