Raspberry Pi 4 and M.2 SATA SSD recognized but not booting or available for install - unsupported interface

From: Johan Helsingius <julf_at_Julf.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:40:01 UTC
Hi!

I got an Aron One M.2 enclosure for the RPi 4 that includes
a M.2 SATA SSD slot. I want to install freebsd 14, but when I
boot from a microSD card image or USB stick,   bsdinstall
doesn't allow me to install on the SSD, and trying to manually
partition and install I can't get the RPi to boot from it, despite
the fact that the USB stick image recognizes the SSD.

Here is the relevant dmesg output:

# dmesg | grep da1
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus1 target 0 lun 0
da1: <Argon Forty 0> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device
da1: Serial Number 0000000000E4
da1: 400.000MB/s transfers
da1: 457862MB (937703088 512 byte sectors)
da1: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>

da0 is the USB stick:

# dmesg | grep da1
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 8.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI device
da0: Serial Number 0877601B45D25B94
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 15283MB (31301631 512 byte sectors)
da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>

I would understand the SSD not being recognized at all...

Any advice/hints?

	Julf