Re: Getting a stable MAC address for a RPI CM3+ with ue0 interface

From: Patrick M. Hausen <pmh_at_hausen.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:02:42 UTC
Hi,

> Am 25.09.2023 um 19:54 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>
> Definately not, in multiple ways.
>
> 0) Having multiple Ethernet adapters plugged in can all be used
>   over the same time frame. The MAC addresses need to be distinct.
>
> 1) RPi4B's and the like are not set up to have such MAC addresses.
>   Only older RPi*'s are.

You are correct. Yet CM3+ is what I am using.

This is as far as I understood an official RPi Foundation document on
the topic:

https://pip.raspberrypi.com/categories/685-whitepapers-app-notes/documents/RP-003474-WP/Changing-MAC-addresses.pdf

> How are MAC addresses generated?
>
> The MAC address is the set of six hexadecimal numbers of the form aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff.
> On devices prior to the Raspberry Pi 4x the MAC address is generated from the Raspberry Pi serial number. For example, if your Raspberry Pi serial number is 58d2ec5c, the MAC address will be generated from the bottom six nibbles, combined with the Raspberry Pi Foundation Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI), which is b8:27:eb, so the final MAC address would be b8:27:eb:d2:ec:5c.
> This address is generated on startup by the firmware, and passed on to the Linux kernel for use by the Ethernet driver.

And this is what I am referring to.

My company runs a a handfull of RPi3, I have this TuringPi with seven CM3+ which
I ran under various versions of Ubuntu or Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS - and when run under
Linux they all do this.

Kind regards,
Patrick