Re: High swap use building Kyuafile on Pi3

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 17:58:39 UTC
On Sep 8, 2023, at 09:14, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> While building a -current world on Pi3 using -DWITH_META_MODE it appears that
> swap use is quite heavy (~2GB) well after clang finishes compiling.
>
> The tail of the build log shows
> Building /usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/lib/googletest/tests/gmock_main/Kyuafile
> as the last entry, suggesting something in tests is the cause.
>
> The machine reports
> FreeBSD pelorus.zefox.org 15.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT aarch64 1500000 #49 main-n265134-4a9cd9fc22d7: Mon Sep  4 10:08:30 PDT 2023     bob@pelorus.zefox.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC arm64
>
> The build command is
> make -j3 -DWITH_META_MODE  buildworld > buildworld.log

So up to 3 builders can be active at the same time.
You seem to have described only 1 builder's activity.

Was it the only active builder? If other builders were
active at the time you also need to check on what they
were doing. The ~2GB is the total across all activity,
including the (up to) 3 builders.

A command that would show the active builders would be:

# poudriere status -b

where:

     -b           Show details about what each builder for the matched builds
                  are doing.

> This behavior seems new, in the last few weeks.
> Is it to be expected?

I suggest reporting the "poudriere status -b" output
from a time frame with the ~2GB of swap space active.

Until then, there is insufficient information to have
a yes/no answer.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com