Re: reboot hesitation on Pi3 running -current

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:15:30 UTC
On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 07:20:03AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2023, at 07:10, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> > A Pi3 running -current has taken to pausing during a shutdown -r in a strange way:
> > It gets to:
> >
> > Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> > Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] in 5 second more detailed help.
> >
> > It then stops at the OK prompt:
> >
> > OK boot <---typing boot fails:
> >
> > unknown command <---this looks strange, the kernel should already be loaded
>
> A possibility here is garbage control characters, say before
> the "boot". YOu might want to type just <return> to the first OK
> prompt and see if you ever still get "unknown command" once you
> do type just "boot" (and <return>).

IIRC I've done that in the past with the same result, but memory is hazy
and an attempt at a second shutdown -r came back up without hesitation.

Another build/install cycle is running now, I'll be more careful next time.

> The fact that the countdown stopped at 5 (or other early value)
> suggests such extra text at that point.

Rubbish on the serial console is a common  occurence, but it usually
shows up when the USB end is taken down and brought back up. In this
case the USB end remained up throughout the reboot cycle, no stray
characters were visible.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska