Re: No sound card on Olimex A20 SOM EVB with FreeBSD 12.4

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper_at_saper.info>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 22:54:00 UTC
On Thu, 2 Nov 2023, Jirka Novak wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>   It seems that we are missing some clocks.
>>   We don't support the audio pll and so don't support the codec gate
>> which is the one that the driver is expecting to find.
>>   It looks like we've never supported this pll since the switch to the
>> new clock driver (in 2018). Back then a lot of clock were directly
>> found in the DTB but that ship has sailed a long time ago.
>>   FreeBSD 11 still have the old clock drivers (and the old DTB) which is
>> why it worked for you.
>>   I don't think that anybody have any plan to work on that tbh.
>
> Just for curiosity (I'm new to FreeBSD kernel) - does it make sense to add
> support/change to 12 branch or 13, 14? If I make change in 12, will it be
> merged to 13/14 too?

Normally the changes are done to -CURRENT first (FreeBSD 15.x) and then
backported to the older ones. It is worth at least having a look at -CURRENT
source ("main" branch) to see if the problem might have been fixed there
already or how different the source code between the system you are running
and testing at the moment and -CURRENT.

(I run amd64 -CURRENT as my daily driver so giving it a try is not
a very scary perspective. Just keep in mind that installing binary
packages for it might require frequent OS upgrades).

Marcin