arm.armv7 crashing

From: Michael Jung <jammin2night_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:13:11 UTC
Hi:

New to arm but I was given a handful of OrangePI's and I had been
wanting to work with GPIO for some time so I though I would give a go.

I will be honest, even as a user of FreeBSD since  the 2.x days I
started with armbian - it crashed a lot - and so FreeBSD here I came.

The crashes are infrequent but present. It will normally run days, but
sometimes only a few hours.  I have learned a lot about ARM in general
but  still struggle in some area's one of them getting crash dumps.

System:  OrangePi-R1 with add on card for 2xUSB + audio

FreeBSD Boot image from downloads.freebsd.org

FreeBSD generic 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #0
main-n259842-c89209c674f2: Sat Dec 24 05:49:58 UTC 2022
root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/sys/GENERIC arm

and  u-boot-orangepi-2e as it's DTS? tables allow the kernel to
recognize my add on board  for the Orange-PI that provides 2xUSB + audio
which I need for my project.   u-boot-orangepi-r1 does not address the
additional hardware.

The system sits and runs webcamd and ustreamer and that is basically it
outside of what can be seen in the log file - like the wireless driver
etc.  Unless I can get the board not to crash I will need to switch to
another board - this little board fits my bill as other than what is
running I expect to have a little python code to handle other things
including GPIO (plans change you know...)

My two USB devices are a web-cam and a Cisco wifi stick that is Linksys
WUSB600N compatible.

I followed the  handbook and tried to provide all the DDB commands
recommended when you get a kernel panic and are dropped into the
debugger.  I have attempted at great length to get  a dump on the
MicroSD card and "dumpon -l" plus the partition table info all looks
good but if debug.kdb.panic=1 is set in /loader.conf I only see
"Dumping:" on the console and then no progress and I ave let it sit for
hours.

There is a copy of /boot/loader.conf, systctl -a , all the DDB output
and a copy of "boot -v" here: http://mail.mikej.com/armv7-new.log

The DDB and verbose boot are mid way down the log file.

Other than a fix could someone clue me in if my issue in using the
incorrect u-boot loader which means I will need to learn a lot about how
to build flattened device trees to support the add on card or is there
something wrong in the kernel itself.

Any hints on how to get real dumps to micro-sd if that even is possible
would also be appreciated.

I read hundreds? of  articles and board postings and there is a lot of
info out their but none of it has clued me in - maybe I'm just getting
too old :-(

Thanks for ANY advise.

Michael Jung