Re: Raspberry Pi 4B not booting single user mode on FreeBSD 14.0 aarch64. Does it work for you?

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 01:12:22 UTC
On Jan 20, 2023, at 06:22, Fred Finster <fred@thegalacticzoo.com> wrote:

> was just trying to boot into single user mode from this documentation below:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/doc/handbook/makeworld.html
> Once in single-user mode, run these commands if the system is formatted with UFS:
>
> |#|  *|mount -u /|*
> |#|  *|mount -a -t ufs|*
> |#|  *|swapon -a|*
>
> example I created this blog post: https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2023/01/time-make-j4-buildworld.html
> I could boot into multi-user mode but not into Single User Mode on this Raspberry Pi 4B.
> What do you suggest and how to trouble shoot?  I turned on verbose mode and saw that it hung after starting /sbin/init
> but do not know why  this aarch64 ARM64 BCM2711 cpu hangs on FreeBSD 14.0 going into "single user mode".
>
> This Version:
>
> root@Fred_RasPi4B:~ # uname -Kmnopr
> FreeBSD Fred_RasPi4B 14.0-CURRENT arm64 aarch64 1400077
> root@Fred_RasPi4B:~ # uname -a
> FreeBSD Fred_RasPi4B 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #6 main-n259952-7e2600ea7be2-dirty: Sun Jan 15 18:14:05 PST 2023 root@Fred_RasPi4B:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC-VCHIQ arm64
. . .

I've never tried GENERIC-VCHIQ.

Have you tried testing a standard build on some
media, such as trying a dd of an uncompressed:

http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20230120-43703bc489ec-260163.img.xz

and seeing if the problem replicates for that in
your context? If it replicates, then at least you
know it is not something more specific to your
context and other folks would be able to test
similarly with a sufficiently analogous context.

But, if it does not replicate when you try such a
test, then folks likely would have to try to
reproduce your context to have a sufficiently
analogous context to test.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com