Re: How to make FreeBSD's kernel boot a RPi4B with modern RPi* firmware

From: Klaus_Küchemann <maciphone2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 18:07:16 UTC

> Am 07.01.2023 um 11:18 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>
> ...In fact, the modern firmware corrects mistakes in the
> .dtb's relative to the RPi4B PCIe description. ….

just a short estimation for now...
there is far too much to say and report on the firmware/u-boot and specially its targeting linux kernel, so I'll just refer to your above  snippet :
In such cases I presume that hacking the .dts files on a per device basis should do the trick instead of following the upstream „blindly“ because if you fix 1 thing by merging the upstream you’ll perhaps import the next problem from the upstream.
There were cases when even OLDER firmware was better than new versions,
so I would always focus on working fbsd(img.xz) releases on a per device basis…
or you would have to test EVERY embedded device and all (perhaps fixed)bug reports would have been worthless when you import
the next problem… also you will not want confusing dmesg`s filled up with messages of linux featured drivers which do not exist in FreeBSD
… but of course:

If you can fix a relevant issue of an existing driver(like the pcie on 4b) , please give your device-hack in phabricator review,
but also please be warned of „new features“ in fw-releases which taget linux(or even only raspbian) instead of fbsd…
..just my few cents..

thanks again for all your effort ,

Regards

K.