Re: u-boot debug, was: Re: U-boot on RPI3, sees disk but won't boot it

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:27:10 UTC
On 2022-Sep-27, at 14:20, Klaus Küchemann <maciphone2@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Am 27.09.2022 um 22:36 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>>
>> …..So, for the vintage of U-Boot source that the u-boot ports are
>> based on, DEBUG would need to be separately defined….
>
> If you mean the freebsd u-boot port, I would suggest to completely ignore older versions/vintages .
> afaik Fbsd will not accept any device specific patch which didn’t made it (u-boot-) upstream.
> And u-boot also won’t accept such patches if not extensively validated.
> So you can use the port to compile but I suggest to use the master stream of u-boot as source
> ( I think that's what you had in mind anyway)

sysutils/u-boot-* are based on:

/usr/ports/sysutils/u-boot-master/Makefile:UBOOT_VERSION?=      2022.04

I expect that Bob is working with that version for problem
identification (which need not be of a U-Boot issue).
Changes to U-Boot to improve things would be a separate
issue --if such changes are even possible. (Bob is not that
far along.)

My note was based on having LOG_DEBUG and DEBUG defined in a
way that works for 2022.04 and after without having to worry
about the status of the change in log.h .

>> Am 27.09.2022 um 22:36 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>>

>> So it may be best to always #define LOG_DEBUG in whatever
>> *.c file(s) before the line with: #include <log.h>
>
> Although that seems a bit unusual maybe u-boot planned it that way( placing the #define in line 1 of the files),I haven't investigated that yet …
> I would begin with a simple #define DEBUG in common/usb.c and then look what happens…
> and then I would continue with the other files you suggested if there’s no relevant output from usb.c debug…
> using the master stream of u-boot…

Until the following are changed to have appropriate
values at the overall configuration level, it does
not appear that LOG_DEBUG and/or DEBUG will do
anything:

QUOTE
The following options are used to enable logging
at compile time:

	CONFIG_LOG - Enables the logging system
	CONFIG_LOG_MAX_LEVEL - Max log level to
		build (anything higher is compiled out)
	CONFIG_LOG_CONSOLE - Enable writing log
		records to the console
END QUOTE

I expect that means having them set appropriately
in rpi_arm64_defconfig for the experiments.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com