Re: Mountroot problems on RPi3/aarch64

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 21:44:01 UTC
On Wed, Jun 01, 2022 at 09:17:10AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
> On 2022-Jun-1, at 08:41, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> > Since about 05/29 mountroot has been failing on a Pi3 self-hosting -current,
> > using a usb mechanical hard disk.
> >
> > Anybody else seen this sort of behavior?
>
> You do not report much context. FreeBSD version? UFS? ZFS?

-current, UFS.

> However, there has been today (for main):
>
> git: bc218d89200f - main - Two bug fixes to UFS/FFS superblock integrity checks when reading a superblock
>
> that is for fixing boot problems in UFS contexts. See:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/dev-commits-src-main/2022-June/006977.html
>
> This is for fixes related to the 2022-May-27 change:
>
> 	??? git: 076002f24d35 - main - Do comprehensive UFS/FFS superblock integrity checks when reading a superblock. Kirk McKusick

It sounds like there's some hope the trouble isn't purely local to my
machines. I'll just continue to update and hope for the best. A Pi3
running -current as well as a Pi3 running stable/13 seem to be affected.
A Pi4 running -current works perfectly. All use UFS on mechanical
hard disks.

FWIW, one boot attempt followed the mountroot failure
with a kernel panic and backtrace, but I inadvertently wiped
out the console transcript before I could post it. If that
happens again I'll take more care.

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially Mark!

bob

it.