Installing 13.1 ARM on SSD

From: Wall, Stephen <stephen.wall_at_redcom.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 17:40:23 UTC
I am attempting to install FreeBSD/ARM 13.1 on a RPi4 with a USB3 SSD attached.
Steps I’ve taken:
- Used Raspberry Pi Imager to set the board to boot from USB first, SD card second
- downloaded and burned  FreeBSD 13.1 arm65-aarch64-RPI image
- booted and run bsdinstall
- selected ZFS
- selected the USB SSD

Installation ran to completion, but when I reboot without the SD card, I get a “Firmware not found” error message.
Searching the web gives lots of results for linux, but I can’t find anything for FreeBSD.
Has anyone successfully done an install like this, and can point me toward some resources that will get me straightened out?

--
Stephen Wall
Senior Staff Software Engineer