Re: devel/llvm13 failed to reclaim memory on 8 GB Pi4 running -current

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 21:48:01 UTC
On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 12:12:20PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> On 2022-Jan-27, at 11:31, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2022-Jan-27, at 08:45, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Attempts to compile devel/llvm13 on a Pi4 running -current (updated
> >> on 20220126) with 8 GB of RAM and 8 GB of swap has failed on two occasions using
> >> make -DBATCH > make.log &
> >> in /usr/ports/devel/llvm13 using the system compiler. The system is
> >> self-hosted.
>
> Context question: ZFS? UFS?

UFS

> (In things involving memory usage issues, knowing which is
> always appropriate because of differences in memory use
> patterns.)
>

> > Your context proves the metadata problem really happens, so
> > the messaging should be fixed to not be misleading.

I looked for and didn't find any "too much swap"
warnings in the boot output, as expected with
RAM=SWAP.

> > But it looks like you have identified a test context
> > for the "swap blk uma zone" and "swap pctrie uma zone"
> > handling.

I was hoping to reproduce the first failure, with clang
exiting on error 139. Just for curiosity's sake I restarted
the build of devel/llvm13 without cleaning. Looks like the
result won't be known until morning.

Thanks for reading, and all your help!

bob prohaska