Re: SSH login failing on stable/13

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:34:57 UTC
On 2022-Jan-10, at 11:39, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> A Pi3 running stable/13 updated yesterday has stopped accepting ssh logins.
> The problem appeared after an update a couple days ago. The update was
> repeated yesterday in hopes of catching some missing details, but no luck.
>
> A session originated from RaspiOS with -vvv ends showing only
> debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
> debug3: remaining preferred: password
> debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
> debug2: userauth_kbdint
> debug3: send packet: type 50
> debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
> debug3: receive packet: type 60
> debug2: input_userauth_info_req
> debug2: input_userauth_info_req: num_prompts 1
> Password for bob@pelorus.zefox.org:
> debug3: send packet: type 61

61 is, apparently, SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_INFO_RESPONSE
(No surprise.)

> Connection closed by 50.1.20.24 port 22
>
> The "connection closed" took a couple of minutes to appear.
> Other ssh connections to older versions of FreeBSD seem to
> work normally. I looked at bugzilla, nothing recent about
> ssh.

As a means of information gathering, when the RPi3 is running
and older FreeBSD, can you try the -vvv activity and report
the debug output, going a few packets past the type 61 notice
to see what would normally be next?

Also, do you have an alternative to using RaspiOS (or, even,
avoiding Linux) for such a test?: checking if it is somehow
specific to FreeBDS vs. RaspiOS/Linux or not? (Another FreeBSD
or NetBSD or . . . For FreeBSD, trying having both machines
using the problematical FreeBDS version could be interesting
if that is the only combination that works, for example.)

Have you checked for any console messages, dmesg -a output,
or less /var/log/messages output that might be related?
(This likely would require serial console access.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com