Re: FreeBSD on RPI4 B 8G rev 1.4

From: adr <adr_at_SDF.ORG>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 20:25:36 UTC
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022, Mark Millard wrote:
>> I'm giving a try again to freebsd in arm (I'd problems before)
>> looking principally for system stability and a reasonable state of
>> the ports tree, something I can't find anymore in other BSDs, at
>> least with arm.
>>
>> I'm using at this moment an Rpi4 B 8G rev 1.4. The only way I can
>> run this board no matter of using 13 release, stable or current
>> is with the EDK2 uefi firmware, in acpi mode only, and only with
>> the ram limit.
>
> I assume this means you run into some sort of failure(s) in some
> kind(s) of contexts. But you do not describe the contexts and
> their kinds of failures.

Yes, I could be more specific. When I said "the only way
I can run..."  I mean the official images don't even boot.

The errors differ but they were related to xhci I think.  I'll make
some test with the u-boot in ports, but after reading your experience
with other rev 1.4 boards I wonder if this could be related with
the eeprom firmware, if this is even possible.

The xhci|pci dma bug on the 2711B0 is well known, and if it is not
dealt with, you know the hell that is coming specially if your root
file system is in a usb device. Also ufs+su+j seems to have a funny
way to recover states with zeroed files, but that's another
discussion.

> If you want help, describe the context and symptoms for the failure.

Just take it as a report... to the list.

Regard,
adr.