Re: From UFS to ZFS as root on RBPI4

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:40:03 UTC
On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 01:43:20PM +0000, Wall, Stephen wrote:
> > From: John Kennedy
> >
> > I'd probably recommend doing a bsdinstall onto the
> > USB-attached SDcard, but the RootOnZFS page is what I used back when that
> > was a new thing.
>
> I had a ZFS-on-SSD RPi4 go south after rebuilding and installing my custom kernel.  On reboot it would either fail to find the pool, or (apparently) permanently stall during boot.  I gave up and decided to reinstall, ...
> After farting around trying to get the right files from rpi-firmware installed in the right place, I eventually gave up and wiped out /boot on the SSD and copied everything from the card's /boot.  Note that BSD install creates a /boot/efi directory for the UEFI partition, with only two files (in subdirectories), whereas the SD card has /boot/MSDOS with a boatload of files, and different subdirectories, so I had to adjust the mount point in /etc/fstab for that.  My RPi is now (again) booting to the SSD (though I'll need to clone my customized kernel from git and (slowly) rebuild it).

  I'd have to look when I get home, but I wasn't thinking about any
EFI-boot the bsdinstall might have installed, just stomped on /boot/efi
with the equivalent from the SDcard image (uboot) and have stuck with
that ever since.  It's on my bucket list to play with EFI, but I haven't
seen (not that I've really looked) the parameters to overclocking and
such that I've current set in the uboot environment.