Re: From UFS to ZFS as root on RBPI4

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:10:11 UTC
On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 01:38:56PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> > My RPI4 8GB runs on ZFS on a USB-disk.
> Would this work for another microSD card, as well, I bet. Right?
> Boot from the microSD card and plug-in via USB another microSD card, repeat the procedure and build sort of FreeBSD 13.1 with ZFS root on microSD.
> Are there any problems why ZFS wont work for a microSD card ?

  I've done ZFS on SD and much smaller RAM sizes on older RPIs when it
was arguably way more painful.  I'd probably recommend doing a
bsdinstall onto the USB-attached SDcard, but the RootOnZFS page is what
I used back when that was a new thing.

  Two things I'd definitely do differently are:

  1:  Having your swap be a real, proper swap partition (if you do hit
	your swap hard, you really don't want disk buffering messing
	up your performance, plus it's always nice to get kernel
	dumps if you ever want to contribute that way).
  2:  Break out /usr/obj/usr into it's own dataset/filesystem.  If you
	compile your own kernel+world, that is where the objects end up
	and if you do things like boot-environments, that'll really blow
	up the size for something you probably won't care about.