Re: From UFS to ZFS as root on RBPI4

From: Ronald Klop <ronald-lists_at_klop.ws>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:41:07 UTC

Van: Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>
Datum: vrijdag, 19 augustus 2022 12:38
Aan: freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Onderwerp: Re: From UFS to ZFS as root on RBPI4

> Thanks a lot.
>
> > My RPI4 8GB runs on ZFS on a USB-disk.
>
> Would this work for another microSD card, as well, I bet. Right?
>
> Boot from the microSD card and plug-in via USB another microSD card, repeat the procedure and build sort of FreeBSD 13.1 with ZFS root on microSD.
>
> Are there any problems why ZFS wont work for a microSD card ?
>
> thanks,
> Stefan

Hi,

I can't think of a reason what would work better/worse with UFS vs ZFS on a microSD card. There probably are arguments to make for both filesystems. Just don't expect too much performance of the SD card in both situations.
Try and see what works for you. And always make a backups. Which is pretty easy with "zfs send"!

Regards,
Ronald.