Re: build a custom installation image for ARM RBPI

From: Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 14:49:36 UTC
On 9/21/2021 10:41, Stefan Parvu wrote:

>> Ok. Are there any available guides, manuals on this or how can I get started?  Is it complicated?
>>

>> Stefan

Crochet is a git project -- https://github.com/freebsd/crochet

Contrary to the docs (which do not mention it) it works with the PI3
*but* you have to pay attention to both the loader issue (you need
loader.efi, not the older boot1 in the EFI partition on the card; the
older loader stopped working with 12.1ish) and the current in-package
RPI u-boot copy is boogered for the Pi3 and will not find the SD card so
you need the u-boot file from roughly April-ish which works fine.

I have figured out how to (on the RPI3) use the native package system
since packages for that processor are now part of the official package
tree, to populate a build as well.  That's fairly simple  If you are
using a RPI2 (which I still have some of in use) you need poudriere on
your build host set up to cross-build the packages and keep them locally
because there is no direct package support for that CPU.

--
Karl Denninger
karl@denninger.net <mailto:karl@denninger.net>