Re: Raspberry Pi 3B and pitiful network speeds

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 05:55:01 UTC
On 2021-Jun-20, at 22:31, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Jun-20, at 20:27, MJ <mafsys1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I do not have access to such for any testing, just a 3B. (Not
>>> a reasonable comparison.) In checking on that, I ran into the
>>> following information:
>>>
>>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/revision-codes/README.md
>>> only shows one revision for 3B+:
>>>
>>> Code	Model	Revision	RAM	Manufacturer
>>> . . .
>>> a020d3	3B+	1.3	1GB	Sony UK
>>> . . .
>>>
>>> Under RaspiOS the revision code shows up via: cat /proc/cpuinfo
>>>
>>> It was released in 2018. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi .)
>>
>> Here's the specifications:
>>
>> https://static.raspberrypi.org/files/product-briefs/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Bplus-Product-Brief.pdf
>>
>> This is the exact model. It was, I believe v1.1. Later release was v1.2
>>
>> If you do need convincing, I'm prepared to pull it apart and photograph it... :-)
>
> I do not expect that it will show any v1.? at all on
> the PCB, unfortunately.
>
> It is common for boards released towards the start of year Y
> to have PCBs that reference year Y-1. So I do not expect
> that a 2017 helps identify much either.
>
> The only thing I know of that might well identify the v1.?
> vintage is to find the revision code via software, and see
> if it is a020d3 vs. something else. If it is a020d3, then
> the table at:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/revision-codes/README.md
>
> should apply and it would be v1.3 . Otherwise, the table is useless
> for the issue, having no other documented 3B+ codes. (They document
> that "there may be codes in use in the field that are not in this
> table".)
>
> It does not look like pulling it apart is likely to be worth it.
> If a check is made, the software check of the revision code looks
> more reasonable to me. But it is no big deal if you do not bother
> with such.

While I can not provide any better suggestions for the v1.?
part of the overall question, I can provide availability for
purchase date evidence:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/

is the 14th Mar 2018 Eben Upton announcement that the
"Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ on sale now at $35".

Yes, they picked pi-day, 03.14, to start availability for
purchase.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com