Re: Raspberry Pi 3B and pitiful network speeds

From: MJ <mafsys1234_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 01:57:00 UTC
On 20/06/2021 11:48 pm, Karl Denninger wrote:

> On 6/20/2021 09:45, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 22:10:34 +1000
>> MJ <mafsys1234@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is the network speed is barely hitting 9 Mb/s. This is
>>> either using FTP or Samba.
>>>
>>> I have previously been running Devuan/Linux and it consistently gets
>>> 18.5 MB/s using FTP or Samba.
>> In case you need another reference point, my RPI3B (revision A22082)
>> sustains at about 50Mbit/s downloading from LAN over SFTP when it runs
>> NetBSD 9.2.
>
> The Pi2 and 3 both run Ethernet through the USB controller, which significantly impacts performance.  IMHO it simply isn't capable of being a high-performance network device due to architectural considerations.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know that it's all I/O through the USB, and yes, that impacts performance. I'm not wanting true 1000 gigabits throughput.

I also know it's not a high performance network device. That is not in dispute. What is in dispute is the speed differential between a debian-based Linux (Devuan) and FreeBSD is basically 50%.