Re: Restraining poudriere

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:02:03 UTC

On 2021-Jun-12, at 18:35, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Jun-12, at 17:53, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I perhaps misunderstood what was meant by "builders", confusing it
>>> with threads. Or maybe cores....
>>>
>>> Trying it now, hoping to see parallel core use.
>>
>> You do not seem to have mentioned use of: vm.pageout_oom_seq=
>> (just vm.pfault_oom_attempts="-1"). You also mention "[with]
>> OOMA turned off" but no combination of settings actually
>> completely disables the possibility.
>>

>> Based on notes in my poudriere.conf for a 2 GiByte RAM
>> context:
>>
>> #NOTE: on 2 GiByte RAM contexts I've used: PARALLEL_JOBS=2 but
>> #      two llvm*'s are likely the biggest combination that
>> #      could occur in my context. lang/rust or other even
>> #      larger build contexts need not be appropriate.  I
>> #      normally use ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=yes .
>> PARALLEL_JOBS=2
>>
>> So for the smaller RAM context: PARALLEL_JOBS=1 is a possibility.
>>
>> On a 1 GiByte RPi2B v1.1 (armv7) I've used the combination:
>>
>> PARALLEL_JOBS=2
>> MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT=2
>>
>> so that no more than 4 generally active processes in
>> builders/JOBS overall. You have used MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT
>> before to build www/chromium (2018-Dec-18 report):
>>
>> QUOTE
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 05:59:21AM +0100, Jan Beich wrote:
>>>
>>> MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT is a user variable, so you can either set in
>>> make.conf or Makefile.local e.g.,
>>>
>>> $ cat <<\. >>${__MAKE_CONF:-/etc/make.conf}
>>> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/chromium}
>>> MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT=2
>>> .endif
>>
>> Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT=2 allowed www/chromium to compile successfully over
>> several days. The -DBATCH option was used, in hopes it'd fetch the right options.
>> END QUOTE
>>
>> As for allowing 4 processes in a build per builder
>> (a.k.a. per JOB) generally (for the 4 core context
>> without MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT in use) . . .
>>
>> # By default MAKE_JOBS is disabled to allow only one process per cpu
>> # Use the following to allow it anyway
>> ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=yes
>>
>> So with PARALLEL_JOBS=1 that would have a total of 4
>> processes.
>>
>> I'll note that threads is yet a separate issue. For example the
>> llvm linker might use 1 or 2 more threads than there are cores.
>> (These happen in one process.) poudriere does not have a control
>> over such tread usage by programs. Threads may or may not use
>> up significant RAM in total.
>>

>> I also override a bunch of MAX_EXECUTION_TIME_<?>'s and
>> NOHANG_TIME:
>>
>> # This defines the max time (in seconds) that a command may run for a build
>> # before it is killed for taking too long. Default: 86400
>> #MAX_EXECUTION_TIME=86400
>> # Cortex-A53 and such are slow for the purpose, allow 4 times the defaults:
>> MAX_EXECUTION_TIME=432000
>>
>> # This defines the time (in seconds) before a command is considered to
> [...]

I took a look via https://pkg-status.freebsd.org and the FreeBSD
servers have been building aarch64 llvm10-10.0.1_5 since mid-Feb.
without such failures. (Previously llvm10-10.0.1_4 was building.)

/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/llvm-10.0.1.src/lib/Target/Hexagon/Disassembler/HexagonDisassembler.cpp

is used. It makes me wonder if you have a cached distfile
that is corrupted or some such. (The servers use poudriere
to do the builds and they do not disable targets.)

I do not know if the logfile would give a hint about that or not.

I do not remember your indicating what /usr/ports commit
poudriere is using --or which way you have poudriere configured
to get a ports tree to work with (or related configuration
information).

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com