Re: Oracle cloud and Altra CPUs

From: Greg V <greg_at_unrelenting.technology>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 14:17:40 UTC

On July 2, 2021 11:51:13 AM UTC, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@freebsd.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I wrote some notes on how far I got with Oracle & arm64 Altra systems.
>
>Oracle is offering free** arm64 VMs, up to 4 cores & 24GiB of RAM, so
>this is a very attractive platform for people who are currently fiddling
>with RasbPi sized build systems.
>
>We already know from elsewhere(tm) that the Altra cpu boots FreeBSD
>13.0-RELEASE happily, so this is largely about muddling around in OCI.
>
>https://people.freebsd.org/~dch/posts/2021-07-02-oci-bringup.html
>
>hopefully there's enough info in here for others to get further along.

The issue is

virtio_pci1: <VirtIO PCI (modern) SCSI adapter>

failing to attach.

The virtio modern driver is pretty new, it probably needs some fix to work on arm64..

Interesting how the VM offers a fallback virtio-legacy device for the networking but not the storage.

I might investigate if I find the time.