Re: ld: error: bzlib.pico:147: unclosed quote

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:40:58 UTC

On 2021-Dec-22, at 09:35, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 08:14:58PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>> On 2021-Dec-21, at 20:03, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 05:51:59PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>>
>> Not noise? Which adapter was in use during the corruption?
>> Does this mean that you have showed 2 disks to have issues
>> using the same adapter on the same RPi3* (but with different
>> firmware/U-Boot/Loader/kernel/World's on the 2 disks)?
>>
> No, I don't think so. I expected the enumeration problem
> to move with the disks. Instead neither disk enumerated
> readily when moved. The disks have different bridge chips.

So, it sounds like you moved each disk with its adapter between
RPi*'s. If I gather right:

The RPi4B had problems with enumerating the disk/adapter
combination that has been under discussion (but used on a
RPi3). Presuming use of a USB3 port, power is less likely
to be a big deal for this test. For the RPI4B, the adapter
firmware and the status of FreeBSD's quirks for the adapter
seem more likely to be what is at issue. That in turn
indicates that those are likely involved for the RPi3* use
as well (but power could be involved as well).

The RPi3 had problems with enumerating the disk/adapter
combination that works on the RPi4B. This suggests a
power problem but not an adpater-firmware/FreeBSD-quirks
problem for this context.

I'd say, that is not just noise.

(I do not remember the information about the normally-on-RPI4B
drive and adapter combination being listed.)

>> Whatever the details, such would be good information to
>> know.
>
> I've been offered a Windows 7 machine that can be used to apply
> the Sabrent firmware updater. That seems like the obvious thing
> to try next in light of the error reported on the Pi3:
> Read NVMe Identify Controller failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command

Sounds like you did not see that for the RPi4B with the
drive/adapter combination that is usually on the RPi3*? If
it was a adapter-firmware/FreeBSD-quirks problem, I'd expect
that you would see it on both RPi*'s. If you do not see it
on the RPi4B, then likely power on the RPi3* is involved
and a firmware/quirks update would not fix the problem.

Again: not just noise.

> No clue if it'll help, but it's a relatively easy experiment.
> The observations will be added to
> http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/slow_usb_notes
> I'll try to keep them somewhat more coherent if others are
> trying to follow the story.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com