Re: Dealing with slow USB disks, was: Re: Saving environment variables in u-boot

From: MJ <mafsys1234_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:03:47 UTC

On 19/12/2021 11:51 am, bob prohaska wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 10:56:04AM +1100, MJ wrote:
>>

>> My suggestion: Have you tried directly connecting the USB into the RPI4?
>> I've had previous run-ins with RPI3B and powered hubs where it seems to be
>> very slow to enumerate the hub and therefore the devices attached.
>>

> The same disk and enclosure boot without issue on the Pi4, so I've little
> doubt it'd work.

Forgive me if this was asked/mentioned before, but is the hub USB 2 or 3?

I couldn't get a Kingston 128GB SSD to work with a USB to SATA adapter (single usb cable)
until I got one of those SATA to USB adapters where the USB has two cables to supply enough power
to the drive. This was then connected to a USB 2 Hub. That 2x500mA got it running.

I would think a mechanical USB is going to pull a "lot" of power when beginning spin-up, but once rotating should be easily powered by a USB hub. Though this would not explain how it works on RPI4 unless the powered hub you're using is USB2.

Apologies if this is just noise.