Re: Hang on /sbin/init

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 00:21:14 UTC

On 2021-Nov-30, at 14:59, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:06:40PM +0000, tech-lists wrote:
>> I'm going to try tarring up /boot on machine1, mounting with
>> mdconfig the msdos part of the installer image, removing the
>> contents of the msdos part and untarring, then booting that image.
>
> This part worked. I was able to boot up the image on the sd and ran the installer 'bdsinstall' with da0 as the target and it seemed to install there.
>
> But sadly the ufs3 boot didn't work. It gets to the bit where it's looking for startelf but doesn't get any further. Maybe I need to set the msdos partition on the hd bootable.
> I don't recall having had to do that before though.

The only adjustment to the original microsdcard needed
should be disabling hdmi_safe=1 in config.txt .

bsdinstall does not deal with the msdosfs content that
is RPi* firmware or that is from the u-boot port used
( armstub8-gic.bin is also not dealt with ). bdsinstall
only deals with FreeBSD and possibly FreeBSD's efi
loader.

The other stuff you can get from the original microsd
card since that seems to work just fine for a RPi4B.
No need to use older materials as far as I can tell.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went