Re: Disabling COMPAT_FREEBSD4/5/6/7/9 in default kernel configurations

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2024 12:16:42 UTC
On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 10:40 AM Alexander Leidinger
<Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
> We're proud of our backwards compatibility. I remember that a committer
> reported proudly that they are able to run FreeBSD 1.0 in a jail (even
> if it was just for fun and not for productive stuff), and the generic
> feedback was in favour of this.
>
> Simply removing this compatibility seems a step backwards in this regard
> IMO. If COMPAT* is loadable, I would directly agree to remove the
> support from the GENERIC kernel, but without being able to load this
> kind of support, people are not able to simply update a system and maybe
> have some old unmaintained legacy software in an old jail.

This does not apply only for legacy software but also modern binary
only releases (i.e. AnyDesk). Knowing how eager folks out there are to
support FreeBSD all builds made on older releases will stop working
and we will not have anything new.

I may be wrong but function can be compiled into kernel or as module
but it must be part of configuration? If its not there then its not
there. New configuration and kernel needs to be built to have extra
functionality. You cannot copy-paste a module from different kernel
and run it on a different kernel (even of the same release)? Am I
wrong? :-)

Generic means most universal and versatile for everyone. Milan has
mentioned in previous reply that he uses minimal kernel configuration.
Some security setups for sure will remove all unwanted features. But
then this is a Custom setup not the Generic one :-)

It's not that I am against new features, I am just tired of enforced
changes and history rewrite.. this Marxism results in nothing really
working when you need it most ;-) Today when the time is most precious
we really need new stuff that works while not destroying anything that
still works.