Re: Importing Heimdal 7.8.0

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 07:17:00 UTC
On Mon, 05 Feb 2024 14:20:34 +0800
Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2024-02-04 14:54:58 (+0800), Emmanuel Vadot wrote:

> >> Cy is importing MIT kerberos. MIT is (in many cases) the defacto
> >> flavor of kerberos.
> >> Cheers,
> >
> >  Is changing kerberos flavor in 2024 really what we want ?
>
> We should ship a supported / maintained flavour of Kerberos.  MIT is the
> best option.
>
> > People who are using base kdc will likekly migrate to ports version of
> > heimdal as database isn't compatible (unless something has changed in
> > the past 15 years I've used kerberos).
>
> That's certainly true.
>
> > I guess that kerberos is still used a bit at some Colleges or old
> > corporation that haven't moved from it but is it relevant for us to
> > still include kerberos in base ?
>
> The kdc is only one component of Kerberos.  While using Kerberos alone
> is certainly increasingly niche, many organisations use it in
> combination with LDAP (e.g. Microsoft Active Directory).
>
> We need the Kerberos libraries in the base system for GSSAPI.  It's more
> effort not to include the kdc and the utilities (kinit, kadmin,
> ktutil,...) than including them.

 Is there a written proposal for this switch ?
 I can't seems to understand how it's useful to not include the
utilities in base (I understand for kdc).
 If I need kerberos to login in my env I would need to pkg install
heimdal/mit so I might as well pkg install openssh-portable && pkg
delete FreeBSD-openssh so I have a kerberos aware ssh.
 Please be aware that we're pushing pkgbase use so we will have a lot
more flexibility to have a tool installed or not.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>