Re: OpenSSL in the FreeBSD base system / FreeBSD 14

From: Charlie Li <vishwin_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:33:39 UTC
Ed Maste wrote:
> The problem is that we have conflicting constraints: OpenSSL 1.1.1 is
> EOL shortly after 14.0 releases, and there are ports that do not yet
> build against OpenSSL 3. I am not sure how much will be broken if we
> update the base system to OpenSSL 3 but leave the privatelib aside
> (i.e., have the base system provide OpenSSL 3 to ports).

OpenSSL 3 is a major, even larger than 1.1, API/ABI change. Quite a bit
of stuff will be broken today. The effort here has to include working
with as many port upstreams as possible to force the issue, as they may
not hold OpenSSL 3 compatibility to be an immediate priority; patching
ports on a large scale like this is not sustainable.

--
Charlie Li
…nope, still don't have an exit line.