Re: [RFC] Proposal adding new sorting algorithm, bsort() to libc

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 14:19:25 UTC
On 9/8/22 15:52, Robert Clausecker wrote:
>> See:
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D36493
>
> Looks interesting!  Any particular reason you add a new function to the
> libc instead of just replacing qsort(3) with the new algorithm?
>
> Yours,
> Robert Clausecker

Hi,

It's a good question. My plan was first to establish the concept about
bsort() and then at some point remove qsort() and make those qsort()
functions symbol aliases for bsort().

There are several write-ups about "trying to fix qsort()". Here is a
link for one of them:

https://www.raygard.net/2022/02/27/Re-engineering-a-qsort-part-4/

The question is, if there is a fix for qsort() in FreeBSD, will there be
a fix in other operating systems too? That's one argument for giving
bitonic sort an own name.

--HPS