Re: Giant Locked drivers

From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 10:43:30 UTC
On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 10:58:04 -0700
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 10:52 AM Steve Kargl <
> sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 10:37:36AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >
> > Is there a list of effected drivers?  Grepping /var/run/dmesg.boot
> > on my system shows only "atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]".  A scan of atkbd(4)
> > shows
> >
> >    This driver is required for the console driver syscons(4) or vt(4).
> >
> > So, setting debug.giant_drivers=1 will brick all FreeBSD workstations?
> >

> You could still access them via serial port or the network.
>
> And I think USB-based systems would be fine. The comment you quoted is
> slightly overstated.
>
> And yes, the point is to show the pain and get people to get off their !$#^
> and do something if they care.

I use a USB keyboard and a USB mouse.  On my machine I see:

grep -i giant /var/run/dmesg.boot
WARNING: Device "consolectl" is Giant locked and may be deleted before
FreeBSD 14.0.

/dev/consolectl is used by both syscons and vt.

Exactly what consolectl is used for I can't say, since there's no man
page.

--
Gary Jennejohn