Re: bsdinstall TUI utility

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 09:58:15 UTC
On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 04:02:51PM -0700, Devin Teske wrote:

> > On May 28, 2022, at 2:59 PM, Alfonso S. Siciliano <alfix86@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > So far I replaced and adapted `dialog` with `bsddialog` in
> > bsdinstall/scripts.
> > <https://wiki.freebsd.org/RoadmapFromDialogToBSDDialog>
> >

> > Currently, I am addressing the last 4 scripts: auto, bootconfig, keymap,
> > and wlanconfig. These scripts use also the $DIALOG variable and some
> > "if" to handle Xdialog(1).
> > For example 'auto' uses $DIALOG, $USE_XDIALOG, and `dialog`.
> >

> Can we simply add USE_GNU_DIALOG and switch USE_DIALOG to mean bsddialog?
>

> > * $DIALOG: I seem bsdinstall(8) uses only dialog(1) as TUI utility.
>
> bsdinstall(8) uses only dialog(1) in the context of $DIALOG
>
> ASIDE: It also uses dialog(3) and dpv(3)/dpv(1)
>

> > * I seem bsdconfig(8) does not "call" these 4 scripts, so, probably,
> >  Xdialog(1) is not used in this context (that is `bsdconfig -X`).
> >

> Correct, bsdconfig does use bsdinstall
>

> > Is there any objection to delete $DIALOG/LGPL-dialog/Xdialog to
> > provide only the support for bsddialog(1) in bsdinstall(8)?
> >

> I object.
>
> I and another developer are adding support for zenity
>
> https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdconfig/zenity/depend/bsdconfig <https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdconfig/zenity/depend/bsdconfig>
>
> There is also work to resolve the namespace issues in bsdinstall
>
> https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdinstall/namespace/depend/bsdconfig <https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdinstall/namespace/depend/bsdconfig>
>
> I am in favor of keeping $DIALOG/LGPL-dialog/Xdialog support where it exists until those efforts can be completed.
>
> ASIDE: bsdinstall doesn’t use Xdialog

I don't think we should block the replacement of dialog with bsddialog in base,
based on project which have not been touched at all for more than 2 years. (I am
not blaming anyone involved in those project, time flies quickly :( ).

In particular considering that X-dialog is a long dead project, which will
probably get removed from the ports tree soonish, and that dialog(1) and
dialog(3) are planned to get removed from base.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that there is a value in support multiple dialog
like application, but either we have the ongoing project back into active mode
and work with Alfonso to ease the integration of bsddialog, or we complete the
switch of bsddialog at the price of breaking other dialog utilities support and
later on, it will be possible to resume the zenity project (or any other) on top
of it.

So to summerize, are the people working on the bsdconfig having time to help
and/or able to propose a concrete plan on how to integrate easily bsdialog to help
Alfonso moving forward? if yes then that is the best situation for all, if no, I
think we should pursue with Alfonso's proposal

Best regards,
Bapt