Re: Updating reboot's default

From: Florian Smeets <flo_at_smeets.xyz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 19:39:40 UTC
On 21.06.22 16:01, Warner Losh wrote:
> 15 or 20 years ago, we talked about changing the default for reboot from
> 'right now' to being safe shutdown. There were arguments made against it
> due to tiny appliances and such.
>

> Comments?

Yes, please!

I've been in the camp that reboot should be 'shutdown -r now' for a very
long time.

If you look at this twitter thread from about a year ago, there are a
couple of experienced FreeBSD users and committers in there that didn't
know the difference.
https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1430914030420598784

Personally I've had to restore databases more than once because someone
used reboot and the database was thoroughly corrupted and couldn't
recover on its own.

Florian