Re: Style(9): Allow // comments

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 03:13:22 UTC
On Tuesday, 26 July 2022 at 15:03:34 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> So, is it time to allow C++ comments? I think so.
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D35960
>
> Comments about how I said it? In the review.
> Comments on whether or not we should do it? Reply here.

My question would be: why do it?  Then we have two different comment
styles, and there's no obvious (to me) reason why we need that.
There's a lot of stuff in style(9) that prohibits perfectly acceptable
styles, like the myriad brace conventions.  Why not allow them too?
Sooner or later, style(9) might become irrelevant.

In addition, do all editors DTRT with // comments?  Allowing them
might confuse them.

What would bde have said?

Greg
--