Re: LGPL code in /usr/tests?

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 17:32:22 UTC
On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 7:57 PM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
> for  not-implemented-yet parts .
> >
> > To prevent unacceptable inclusion of such sources into my own
> productions , I am
> > using global directories  outside of the program directories :
> >
> > /KBMS/Parts_to_ be_Removed/... ( Part specific directories )
> > /MAS/Parts_to_ be_Removed/... ( Part specific directories )
> >
> > It is explicitly known that these directories and their contents can not
> be used .
> > There is no danger of including them erroneously .
> >

> > You can define such directories . During compilation you may fetch LGPL
> licensed
> > parts from these directories ( even though they may be on the Internet )
> . After compilation of
> > the programs ( and if they are executed ) you may discard them . By
> supplying a script to manage such issues , users of the FreeBSD may also
> use the associated external directories created in their systems and used
> during their works .
> >

> > The main problem for the LGPL licensed sources is the modifications
> performed
> > in them . If there are such parts they should be open sourced , not the
> sources of the
> > user sources . The closed source programs will not be affected from such
> modifications .
> >
> > Some closed source program developers may not want to handle legal
> implications of
> > these modified or not modified LGPL licensed parts even when they are
> distributed  because any failure of distribution of especially modified
> sources may cause significant trouble for them . To eliminate such
> distribution related concerns , the best action may be to store
> > these sources into a publicly accessible repository , modify these
> sources in that repository and use them  from this repository . In this
> case , modifications in the main repository and excluding of these from
> FreeBSD distributions will not affect FreeBSD users other than fetching
> them when they are needed , which is legally acceptable and harmless .
> >
> > Generation of a package or port from this repository  may be necessary
> or not ,
> > I will not be able to say anything because I do not know . The port or
> package
> > generator persons would know such points . My opinion is that the above
> model
> > may not require either a port or a package separately because
> everything necessary
> > will be in the repository .
> >

> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
>

> So you suggest that "make buildworld" downloads the libnfs sources?
> That would be a big change from the current setup, where all sources
> are assumed to be present when make starts.  I expect that it might
> break tools like "make release" and nanobsd, too.  Of course, we could
> always put these tests into tools/regression instead of tests/.  That
> would be easy.  But then they wouldn't get run in CI.  And I think

It is very likely that there will not be many ( or high frequency )
modifications in
the repository of required LGPL licensed parts .

Fetching and storing them into a directory outside of the source tree and
keeping them in there will not be a violation of its license .
If a modification is applied into their  main repository , then again the
action will be
"fetch and store them , and keep them in there" .
In this case , "make { buildworld  | release }" or other processing steps
will require only specification of the global directory of LGPL licensed
sources ( outside of the FreeBSD base ) .
These will not be included into FreeBSD base when it is distributed
but only will be used during testing or other tasks where they are applied
.

Any user of the FreeBSD , will do a similar action in their "make {
buildworld  | release }"
or other processing works .

Since it is possible to keep the LGPL licensed sources ( by fetching
modifications from its repository ) indefinitely , my opinion
is that continuous use of these sources are legally possible and harmless .
( I am not a lawyer and my views do not constitute legal advice . )

If a user does not want to keep these LGPL licensed parts , she/he may
discard the
global directory contents when she/he completes her/his job , and again
she/he
may fetch and use them . Such an action will be decided by the user with
respect to
her/his needs and/or conventions . With respect to LGPL license such an
action is not
necessary if the above defined publically accessible repository is used .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk