Re: LGPL code in /usr/tests?

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 07:37:13 UTC
On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 9:31 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Top posting my reactions (sorry)
>
> I think 'in base as a private library, used only in the tests protected by
> MK_LGPL' is fine.
>
> This would keep it in base, keep the testing happening, and allow those
> who want
> to omit it. This would also not run afoul of any companies that still have
> downloading
> GPL'd software is a fireable offense, since all such policies I heard
> about years ago
> were specifically the GPL, not the LGPL). This is of course a trade off
> between
> getting something useful from the LGPL software (better testing) and our
> desires
> not to have any in the tree at all, if possible. Adding a knob would let
> it be shut
> off easily with all the tests disabled that depend on it. This is also in
> keeping with
> our historical practices of having software with undesirable licenses as
> long as it
> gets us something.
>
> I think this is better than the ports options because it will get more use
> and exposure
> this way and is more likely to remain working (though with our current CI
> setup
> adding it as a dependency for that CI would be easy and give us decent
> coverage).
>
> Warner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License
GNU Lesser General Public License

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft#Strong_and_weak_copyleft
Strong and weak copyleft

"GNU Lesser General Public License" is a  WEAK copyleft license ( it may be
considered "benign" : it does not invade the user software , affects only
the modifications to the LGPL licensed software ) ,

in spite of this ,

"GNU General Public License" is a STRONG copyleft license ( it may be
considered "malignant" : it invades the user software as a whole ) .

Using a ( LGPL licensed software ) for testing another software is not
directly involved in the tested software .

To eliminate possible doubts , if I were the decision maker about how to
use it , I would make it a port , and fetch it during testing as a
dynamically loaded library ( manage it port with respect to its license ) .

Mehmet  Erol Sanliturk