Re: FreeBSD 14: Poll armv6 deprecated or removed

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:52:16 UTC
Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote on
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 19:23:53 UTC :

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 10:48 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the lag of a year, it's been a crazy time for me and this fell
> > through the cracks.
> > . . .
> >

> Oh, and #6: Demote armv6 (but not armv7) to tier 3. It's been kinda
> de-facto there for a while anyway, and this will make the signalling clear
> that the runway for armv6 is running out.

Yea. Some other adjustments to:

https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm/

would likely be appropriate, not just things
strongly tied to just armv6. Primarily, in:

QUOTE
32-bit ARMv6 and ARMv7 is officially a Tier 2 architecture,
as the FreeBSD project does not provide official releases
or pre-built packages for this platform due to it primarily
targeting the embedded arena.
END QUOTE

FreeBSD does provide pre-built packages for armv7, now much
better than when qemu based building was in use. (The aarch64
based builders can execute armv7 and are used for armv7
package building these days.)

(armv6 builds uses qemu on amd64, which significantly limits
what gets built and provided: lots fails to be built. armv7
use to have that status as well.)

Also, the likes of:

http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/

does have some armv6 and armv7 materials for 12.3/ , 12.4/ ,
13.0/ , and 13.1/ . The wording above might stop someone
from even looking for the material. (This sort of status
is not a recent change.) Sure looks to be official material.

(No implication of a change from Tier 2 for armv7. But the
existing wording used to indicate example justifications is
--and has been-- misleading.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com