Re: cron @shutdown

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 06:54:33 UTC
Quoting Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> (from Tue, 02 Aug 2022
07:54:33 -0700):

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone think there might be some utility with an @shutdown crontab(5)
> "nickname" similar to @reboot but instead when cron shuts down?
>
> I pointed out to one of my customers that @reboot might be an option
> instead of an rc script (or in his case a systemd unit file). Not that an
> @reboot for FreeBSD cron would contribute to solving his Linux problem but
> might our users be interested in something like this?

I'm a little bit puzzled...
"@stop" (when cron is stopped) is easy to implement, but the use cases
for this are ... IMO very limited (and I would question if another way
of implementing the application logic where this is used may be better).
"@shutdown" is not only a simple change to cron but also needs some
logic to distinguish a stop/restart of crond from a full system
shutdown. As such from a layering logic I would rather go with a rc
script instead of a cron entry.

I understand that real-world ... "rules" ... can lead to situations
where @shutdown would make life more easy. How far do we want to go
there? Where do we draw a line between layering violations and stupid
policies or convenience or "I don't want to talk with a colleague"
situations (or whatever it is)?

This message is not a "no-vote", it is a "take a step back, take a
deep breath, and ask yourself if we really want to do that".

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF