Re: cron @shutdown

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 15:02:43 UTC
In message <CANCZdfo9JZzH8GkA+d1ddi6cATfbN1e0+5_j3ALDpmgT63EYDQ@mail.gmail.c
om>
, Warner Losh writes:
> --000000000000543e5405e5435396
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2022, 8:54 AM Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone think there might be some utility with an @shutdown crontab(5)
> > "nickname" similar to @reboot but instead when cron shuts down?
> >
> > I pointed out to one of my customers that @reboot might be an option
> > instead of an rc script (or in his case a systemd unit file). Not that an
> > @reboot for FreeBSD cron would contribute to solving his Linux problem but
> > might our users be interested in something like this?
> >

> If it's simple and increases portability, I'm all for it.

It's simple but there's no Linux equivalent, yet. My thoughts are to
implement in FreeBSD then canvas then submit a pull request to the Linux
Vixie Cron maintainer and discuss with the various Linux vendors.

It's a simple thing to do that empowers end-users who wish to run services
on their machines without startup scripts and superuser privileges needed
to maintain them -- like at $JOB where privilege separation is somewhat of
a religion.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>